Pride Rock of Posts
I’ve been really slack recently, dw am turning stuff around now, think of me as that baboon that holds Simba over everyone @ Pride Rock, just a lot less accomplished/majestic/smart.
Simba, is my selection of fun/good things that will be happening over the summer.
1. Thee Oh Sees – 8 Jan @ Amplifier.
The only excuse you have for not going to this concert is being out of the country (I am, and totally bummed out about not making this one), this will be a great show to attend. If you aren’t going you are probably a 26 year old jerk; “they sound too downmarket for me” don’t be like that.
2. The Necks @ the Bakery, late Jan.
Bottom line here is, the Necks are great, and from Australia. Something to be very proud of and to have a fantastic experience at. If you aren’t going to this you are probably 22 years old and have vanilla sex with yr teenage girlfriend while listening to a collection of sub-par drivel that you DL’d from the latest “Indie/Rock Playlist!”.
3. Lots of people @ Soundwave @ somewhere not that close. In late Jan. I think. March.
Millencolin playing the entire Pennybridge Pioneers album is mentally good. Seriously folks, add that to Fucked Up + One Day as a Lion, and yr doing very good. But then put MELVINS into the mix and the equation just gets out of hand. The sad thing about this is that it costs heaps, I probably won’t go because I don’t have a million samoleons. But note that after it’s over and we are sitting around listening to Melvins, we will all collectively regret not going.
4. Os Mutantes @ Beck’s Music Box closing night.
Anyone else totally lose their shit when this got announced? I can officially tell you that this will rock. Don’t kid yourself by doing anything else on this evening, it’s like Sunday 6th of March from memory. If you don’t know of Os Mutantes, start with their self titled first album – now.
5. Clean Living festival? Or something like that.
I really have no details of this, and only have word of mouth resources. Here’s what I know, it is a small festival type thing, in Feb, or around Feb, being organised by a feller from Clean Living, it will span a week, with 3-4 performances per night, at kurb gallery. It’s very admirable for anyone to put on such an event. I have no idea who is playing, but I imagine it will be very worthwhile and consist of interesting performances. NB: None of this is factually verified.
6. Picnics and beaches @ various coastal locations and national parks.
Everybody make sure you put sunscreen on and wear a hat. Not kidding. There needs to be more people wearing proper hats, that keep sun off you. And not make you look like a 17 year old dickhead.
7. Honourable Mentions:
- Southbound would be fun if you can be bothered/have a million dollars
- BDO would be good if only to see Grinderman
- Any one of the Bang on a Can performances @ PIAF will be great, Bang on a Can deserves much more respect than it gets.
- Fresh fruit. Does anyone have an awesome tip as to where I should buy?